Wednesday, 30 March 2011

How To: Clean Make-Up Brushes

(Foundation Brush) After Cleaning:
Before:
Step 1: Take a small dish/plate and pump once or twice some anti-bacterial hand soap, then add a teaspoon amount of (I used extra-virgin) olive oil and mix
Step 2: Also shown above, start dabbing the brush around the plate, ensuring it gathers both liquids on the surface, you should see colour coming off it, onto the plate
Powder Brush: One of the makeup appliances I clean the most, as I use it daily.
It should look something like this when you first apply it to the plate
Step 3: Take a few paper towels and wipe the excess off onto this, it should all come out easily.

Why Olive Oil?
Olive oil is gentle on the bristles, and is quite thick, thus effective at removing built up product

Why Anti-bacterial hand soap?
The anti-bacterial will obviously kill any bacteria festering on the brushes, and as it is good enough for your hands, it will effectively and gently rinse out dirt and product from your brush!

Step 4: (optionally) You can rinse the brush under hot water to ensure all product is gone. Lay out the appliance on a towel in a dry, warm location and leave to dry.

xoxox

P.S - This post was inspired by Michelle Phan's video: Clean Brushes

19 comments:

  1. you have no idea how helpful this is for me! i looked for some youtube tutorials on how to effectively clean my foundation brush, but they all involved buying an expensive brush cleaning fluid that i just didn't want to do!

    really enjoying your posts, keep it up ;)
    http://ismellfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this! I was just thinking about how badly I needed to clean my brushes, but didn't want to buy a product for it. I'm so glad I learned about olive oil. Off to do this right now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle Phan is a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so helpful
    thank you


    doasbg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thanks Amy! My goal is to help people with practical advice like this, as I know I loved learning these points from others!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. And thanks to rest of you, good to know it helped! :)

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very useful - thanks for sharing this! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a helpful post ! I never knew that you had to use olive oil :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! you read my mind, i need to do this - thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Guess I'll do more beauty posts like this then!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never clean my brushes often enough. When I do get around to it, the water is so icky, I always tell myself I'm going to do it more often!

    <3
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, I never used olive oil and soap, so I'll have to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great tutorial! Most people never clean their brushes and it's awful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for the tips, lexie!
    is it recommended that we clean BEFORE using the brushes?
    by the way, followed you! hopefully you can return the favor :)
    xo
    heworeshewore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Christa, and if u mean while they're dirty, then yes it is :)

    and thanks to everyone!!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is a GREAT post! i've been needing to do this in a while :)

    http://www.littlemissdressup.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOU NEVER USE HOT WATER, WARM WATER ONLY....AND U NEVER EVER PUT YOUR CLEAN BRUSHES FLAT ON A TOWEL BECAUSE WATER BACKS UP INTO THE FERRULE (TOP METAL PART) IT WILL LOOSEN THE GLUE AND YOUR BRUSH WILL EVIDENTLY FALL A PART. YOU PLACE THE BRUSHES IN A GLASS WITH BRISTLES DOWN, THEREFORE THE WATER DRIPS OUT & DOESN'T BACKUP INTO THE FERRULE OVERNIGHT TO DRY. NEVER USE A BLOW DRYER..IN THE MORNING RE-FLUFF AGAIN AND YOUR BRUSHES WILL LOOK BRAND NEW AND NOT FALL APART OR LOOSES THE GLUE. IF POSSIBLE PURCHASE BRUSH GUARDS THEY ARE CHEAP. IT'S EASIER WITH THE GUARD WHEN DRYING IN THE GLASS. BUT NOT A MUST.... I THINK BEFORE YOU POST YOU SHOULD RESEARCH IT FIRST. YOU ARE GIVING THE WRONG INFORMATION AND NO ONE WANTS THEIR EXPENSIVE BRUSH TO FALL APART.

    ReplyDelete