Friday, 30 October 2009

Film Review: Some Like it Hot/ Roman Holiday

My friend (http://ooohlalaola.blogspot.com) recently lent me Roman Holiday, which I watched today, and the film Some Like it Hot I watched a few months ago at a sleepover, which I really enjoyed aswell.
Roman Holiday stars Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck, its about a princess who is travelling to Rome and escapes from the castle where she is staying, and she meets a reporter (Gregory) who is secretly trying to get a story on her...and you have to wait and see how it turns out! I would say this is a 5/5 film, it was made somewhere around the 60's (?) and is in black and white. Audrey,as usual, is very graceful and beautiful in her role and the film has a mix of comedy, dramatic irony and sadness. I was kind of dissapointed with the ending, because I was expecting a typical romance, but at the same time it left you feeling fulfilled, if you get what I mean.
Now onto Some Like it Hot, which stars Marylin Monroe. It's pure 20th century comedy, the plot is quite complex, but it involves a travelling band and two men dressed up as women, fleeing from the police! Marylin is also stunning in this role, she plays a blonde bombshell (who else?!) aswell as a golddigger. She does have other films where she has similar roles, but that was just the stereotype she fit for movies. It is a laugh out loud movie, especially if your watching with friends, I really enjoyed this one because it wasn't a typical movie where it was easy to figure the scenes out, but it definetly pulled you in, and made you want to know what was going to happen next. I'd probably give it 4/5 because although it was still very good, it wasn't a 'classic' in my opinion.
Overall, I would reccomend these films to you, if you like 'old hollywood' or Audrey & Marylin. This post was just a random inspiration, and if you could comment to tell me if you like it, I can do more, as soon I am going to watch All about eve (another oldie!) and maybe some modern ones...
xo

1 comment:

  1. fabulous! :) xxx
    i have some like it hot on dvd too but haven't got round to watching it yet :(
    apparently it's what amy whinehouse watches when she needs a pick me up or something like that (i think i read it in a magazine or something lol)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete